How To Have The Best Shareholder Experience
This page is primarily for shareholders who pick up their share at a community site. Some of it also applies to shareholders who receive home delivery.
Your Customized Vegetable Share
- Please make sure to take the customized vegetable box with your name on it. We no longer provide a checklist at the pickup sites. The boxes themselves serve as a checklist, since each box is labeled with the shareholder’s name.
- If your name is not on any of the boxes, do not take someone else’s box. Log in to your account at www.harvie.farm/login to check your delivery schedule.
- The white vegetable boxes will be stacked together, and are marked Vegetables.
- Return your empty vegetable box when you go to your pickup site for your next delivery. Flatten your vegetable box when you return it to your site. Please do not rip the tabs when flattening your box. These boxes are expensive and we like to get as much recycled use out of them as possible. Click here to view a video demonstrating how to flatten your vegetable box.
- If you receive home delivery, place your flattened, empty vegetable box in the location where your box is normally delivered and the courier will pick it up on your next delivery day for return to the farm.
Your Fruit Box
(if you are signed up for a fruit share)
- Only take a fruit box if your name is on it.
- Fruit boxes will be in a separate stack from the vegetables. The fruit box is a plain brown box.
- Remember, fruit boxes are delivered every other week starting on the second delivery week.
- Please recycle fruit boxes on your own; do not return them to your pickup site. If you receive home delivery, do not put the fruit box out for the courier to pick up. Unlike the vegetable boxes, the farm does not re-use the fruit boxes.
The Swap Box
We no longer provide swap boxes to the pickup sites. The swapping feature is now offered to each shareholder through their online share customization. The fruit share is not customizable.
- Help your produce stay fresh by picking up your box promptly. Freshness and quality can quickly wither on a hot summer day.
- Before you contact the farm office with a concern, read the issue of Farm News that comes with your vegetable box. Your concern might be addressed in Farm News.
- While we do generally rinse off field soil after harvest, we highly recommend that you always thoroughly wash your vegetables before preparing them.
We include a printed newsletter, Farm News, with each vegetable box, to help build connection to the farm and your vegetables. Each issue of Farm News is also posted on our Farm News blog. Your weekly or bi-weekly delivery reminder email will include a link to that week’s Farm News on the blog.
Farm News is written by Farmer John and it is an important element of your shareholder experience. If you’re not reading the newsletter, you’re not having the best shareholder experience.
The fruit newsletter is posted online on the Fruit News blog.
Sharing a Box?
The best way to split your box contents with your box-mate is by taking your box home to do so. However, when this is not possible, take a tote bag to the site to fill with your share of the box.
IMPORTANT: we no longer provide paper bags at the site for the transfer of box contents, so please bring your own tote bag to your pickup site if you need to split your box contents with a box-mate.
Be sure to clean up any mess that was made when dividing the box contents.
Can’t Pick Up Your Box?
When you’re not able to pick up your share during the scheduled pickup hours, you may either:
- Contact your site host and ask her/him to direct the unclaimed box to a needy party, or
- Contact your site host ahead of time to arrange for a later pickup (this option is not available at all pickup sites). It is rare that your host will be able to accommodate you if you contact them after the scheduled pickup hours.
Important: Please note that the farm can only guarantee your box will be available during your site’s stated pickup hours. If you do not pick up during the published pickup hours, the farm will not make up for your missed box.
Your Site and Your Generous Site Host
Please keep your pickup site tidy. Your site host is making a very generous contribution to the farm and to your community. Please treat your site host with the utmost courtesy and your pickup site with the utmost respect.